Nuisance to neighbours

Home \ Environment & Buildings \ Environmental Protection \ Nuisance to neighbours

In most cases, nuisance from odour and smoke is dealt with by local authority Environmental Health (EH) Departments, except for farms operating with an Environmental Permitting Regulations (EPR) Permit.

Under Part III, Section 79, of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, local authorities are responsible for statutory nuisances in their area and investigating complaints. However, if a farm possesses an Environmental Permitting Regulations (EPR) Permit (typically referred to as an IPPC permit), then the Environment Agency is responsible for cases involving nuisance.

Nuisance can include: a state as prejudicial to health arising from, smoke emitted from premises, dust, steam, smell or effluvia arising on industrial, trade or business premises.


Noise is also considered under public nuisance.

The Control of Noise at Work Regulations 2005 aim to ensure that workers' hearing is protected from excessive noise at their place of work, which could cause them to lose their hearing and/or to suffer from tinnitus (permanent ringing in the ears).

A Health and Safety Executive guidance leaflet has been produced to help employers understand what they need to do under the regulations along with guidance on noise in agriculture.

The AHDB Pork guide, Health and Safety for Pig Keepers, also has a section with more information on noise.