Water, Soil and Air
Soil, water and air are farmers’ fundamental tools and precious resources to be used with care. Protecting them for security of supply and for future generations is very important.
This page is concerned with meeting legislative requirements and providing guidance on good practice.
This includes water used by the farm and prevention of water pollution. Drinking water protection zones are influencing the siting of both indoor and outdoor pig production units.
- Download AHDB Pork’s Knowledge Transfer Bulletin no. 20: Water Usage: Tips on saving a precious resource
- Download AHDB Pork’s Action for Productiviry no. 16: Water Supply
- Download AHDB Dairy’s booklet 'Effective use of water on a dairy farm' which details the options available to help evaluate how efficiently producers are using the water on farm and points out ways to save costs and maximise water efficiency.
- Download the Simply Sustainable Water briefing from Linking Environment and Farming (LEAF)
This includes soil management, prevention of contamination and loss plus managing soil nutrients.
- Download AHDB Pork’s guide, Good Soil Manage Practice: A Guide for Outdoor Pig Keeping
View soil management videos on the AHDB Pork Practical Pig App
Download the Simply Sustainable Soils briefing from Linking Environment and Farming (LEAF)
- Download booket on effective use of water on dairy farms
Air is a conduit for gaseous pollutants which include odour, ammonia, greenhouse gases and bio-aerosols (dust and particulates). There is an AHDB Pork model template (no. 12) to help produce an odour management plan available here.
The Code describes key actions that can be taken to protect and enhance the quality of water, soil and air. In some cases this may also achieve cost savings for the business. It will also help meet legal obligations including those relating to cross-compliance.