Home \ Environment & Buildings \ Water, Soil and Air \ Flooding

Farmers and landowners with property or land adjacent to a river or other watercourse have a number of responsibilities. See the Environment Agency’s document ‘Living on the Edge – A Guide to your rights and Responsibilities of Riverside Ownership’.  

If producers plan to carry out work on land adjacent to a watercourse plans must be submitted to the Environment Agency and the local authority before starting.

Flooding risk

View current flood warnings (updated every 15 minutes)

To find out the likelihood of flooding in their area, producers can use the Environment Agency's flood map to find out.

If worried about flooding, they can phone the Environment Agency's Floodline on 0345 988 1188. Producers can also register for Floodline Warnings Direct, a free service that provides flood warnings direct to you by telephone, mobile, fax or pager, which also provides practical advice on preparing for a flood, and what to do if one happens.

Managing manure after prolonged wet weather

DownloadAdvice to Farmers: Managing manure after prolonged wet weather’

Further information

Defra Public Enquiries: www.gov.uk/defra or 08459 335577