Animal Bytes, brought to you by BSAS, is your guide to the latest developments in the world of animal science.
- Piglet survival key to optimising sow productivity
- Later weaning not linked to improved piglet health
- It’s possible to breed for improved piglet pre-weaning survival
- ‘Active’ and calm sows are less prone to crush their piglets
- Drinker design key to minimising waste, but not pig performance
- Zinc-oxide supplemented feed is less palatable to piglets, despite health benefits
- Dietary protein level can be reduced to cut nitrogen losses