Feasibility study on the desirability of the UK pig industry adopting carcase cooling as an on-farm method for the storage of fallen pigs prior to disposal
Research partners: FABRA, Harper Adams University
Project duration:April to August 2014
Aims and objectives
- To conduct a detailed evaluation on-farm carcase cooling systems in Denmark and the Netherlands
- To assess the feasibility of implementation of on-farm carcase cooling for the UK pig industry.
On-farm cooling of fallen stock prior to collection and rendering may provide significant economic, environmental and biosecurity benefits to the UK pig industry. Potential benefits include:
- An increase in the storage time and collection interval and potentially reduced costs associated with carcase disposal
- Maintaining the quality of carcase material sent to renderers may increase the yield and quality of the rendered products and their economic value
- The introduction of some carcase cooling systems may be cost effective with relatively short payback periods
- Pillar 2 common agricultural policy funding may be available to encourage the development and uptake of on-farm carcase cooling.
- Secure on-farm storage and containment of fallen stock
- A reduction in odour emissions produced during storage, transportation and rendering and a reduction in the costs associated with odour control
- Increased compliance to legislation regarding the treatment and disposal of fallen stock (both on-farm and by processing plants)
- Enhanced public perception of the animal by-product industry.
- Secure on-farm storage and containment may prevent access by wildlife, rodents and flies
- Appropriate siting of on-farm storage facilities could reduce the possibility of disease transmission and improve biosecurity
- A reduction in the frequency of collection visits and vehicle movements between farms may reduce the possibility of disease transmission and improve biosecurity
- Increased farmer awareness of biosecurity and disease prevention, including retention of resulting juices.
Video: Cooling container on a Danish unit
Cooling containers are already used on many European pig units and this clip shows one example in use in Denmark.