11 Nov 2010, 10:08 AM
AHDB Pork BlogNext Post
Pig producers are looking more closely at how efficient their ventilation systems really are, having watched BPEX's Pig Unit Ventilation DVD.
Ventilation systems are usually scrutinised when a new building is put up but they must also be regularly checked and maintained throughout the life of the building. On the DVD John Chambers explains what an effective pig unit ventilation system should do and how to maintain and run it. Importantly, it provides the information and advice to help producers assess their own units and make informed decisions about ventilation.
Key points to consider include:
• The typical air flow within buildings and the problems that can result from where cold air lands
• What does pig behaviour say about the current temperature/draughts?
• Are building temperatures and outside temperatures monitored?
• Should fans have louvers over them?
• Ventilation requirements should be reviewed regularly, especially when building use or stocking level changes, for example when changing to a batch system
Free copies of the DVD are available to producers from BPEX regional Knowledge Transfer Managers or by e-mailing email@example.com or calling 02476 478793.
By AHDBPork at 11 Nov 2010, 10:08 AM