22 Mar 2013, 10:52 AM
AHDB Pork BlogNext Post
Pig producers met in
this week to discuss seasonality. My colleagues and I in the BPEX knowledge transfer team will now identify suitable interventions to trial to try and combat it. Points discussed included: Norfolk
- Plan ahead and have extra at least 10% extra gilts available for the seasonality period
- Provide wallows, sprinklers, showers and shades for all stock, at all stages of production
- Adjust the service routine so animals are served earlier in the day when cooler
- Do not be tempted to reserve return sows and keep to the policy of: two returns as a gilt and one return for the rest of her life
- If you are home breeding, do not select gilts from a dam that has returned during the summer period in case there is a genetic predisposition for seasonal infertility.
Look out for more on this soon. In the meantime, please get in touch if you have comments or questions and want to find out more. Please comment below or contact me directly.
By AHDBPork at 22 Mar 2013, 10:52 AM