Latest Comments
By Kim Brook at 15 Dec 2017, 11:38 AM on Flies are fascinating - Angela Cliff, KE Manager

By Angela Cliff at 15 Dec 2017, 11:38 AM on Flies are fascinating - Angela Cliff, KE Manager

By Stephen Horn at 30 Jan 2018, 14:31 PM on Staying warm in Sweden by Katja Stoddart

By Caroline Curtis at 1 Mar 2018, 10:40 AM on Pork production with entire males by Lauren Turner

By Lauren Turner at 1 Mar 2018, 15:12 PM on Pork production with entire males by Lauren Turner

Authors
AHDB Pork
AHDBPork
Categories
Uncategorised
Person
Event
Project
Archive

AHDB Pork Blog

Stark messages on gilt retention by Angela Cliff

Angela CliffDuring the past year we have been collecting data from the Gilt Watch group of producers. We have looked at some of the messages we can draw from the data set so far and these happen to be quite stark. In short, we’re losing far too many first and second parity sows.

AHDB has been collaborating with Agrosoft and Stephen Hall, who have developed a ‘gilt cohort analysis’ for Pig Vision – a brand new way to analyse breeding herd performance data. Producers have also been busy mapping the ‘pig flow’ for their replacement gilts ie, where she is housed, her feeding programme, movements around the unit, preparation for service, etc and asking: “Is this the best we can do?”.

The first question was, how well does the Gilt Watch group, which includes both indoor and outdoor systems, represent the national herd? The answer is: pretty well. The participating herds have over 15,000 sows which, over the last year, had a replacement rate of 50.4% ( Agrosoft average is 53.5%) and a mortality rate of 4.9% ( Agrosoft average is 5.45%).




Problems with retention of parity 1 and 2 animals

However, it was when we started to re-examine which animals were removed and why, that problems with the retention of parity 1 and 2 animals became apparent. Of all the animals culled or died, a total cull share of 21.7% were from parities 1 and 2.  When examining the data from animals that were culled, or were euthanised or died, 19.6% and 40.6% respectively were from parities 1 and 2.  Averages never show the true picture though and, when producers were benchmarked, the top 20% were operating at a cull share of 11.5%, and a mortality rate of 19.5%. When combined, this results in the top 20% achieving a total cull share from parities 1 and 2 of just 12.9% of all the animals removed.  Interestingly the top 20% herd were divided between indoor and outdoor systems.

Then we asked, why were these young animals being removed? An important question, but one we cannot accurately answer at this moment, because the reason why a young sow was removed had not been recorded in detail. What we do know is that 49% were due to a variety of causes grouped as ‘breeding failures’. The remaining 51% were ‘misc’ or the reason was left blank.  What it has highlighted is that, without good recorded information, it is difficult identify a root cause of any production problem and, for us, why our young sows are failing. The reasons for removal will be a focus area for the Gilt Watch group over the coming months.

Our current retention rate

The third question was, what is our current retention rate? When Gilt Watch began, we had a target retention of at least 85% of the original gilt intake to be served and in pig for their  third parity. The group is achieving an average retention of 71%, ranging from 60% to 82%. Every unit has the potential to improve and it is rewarding to see how the Gilt Watch participants are grasping the opportunity to interact with other Gilt Watch members and hear about different gilt rearing and production systems.


By AHDB Pork at 23 Jan 2019, 11:13 AM

Comments


Post a comment

Please correct the following: