Slaughter: On Farm
Some circumstances may require a pig to be slaughtered on the farm premises, rather than be transported to a slaughterhouse.
A license is required to kill an animal on the farm, unless it is being killed
- for disease control by a competent authority,
- by a free bullet in the field by a person who holds a firearms certificate,
- because it is suffering and is being killed for emergency reasons relating to the welfare of the animal, and where the animal needs to be killed/slaughtered immediately,
- for an owner’s private consumption,
- by a qualified veterinary surgeon.