Contact

Photo of French exports down but imports stable

Bethan Wilkins

Analyst

AHDB Pork Market Intelligence

email

Email Bethan

T: work 024 7647 8757

French exports down but imports stable

Home \ Prices & Stats \ News \ 2014 \ November \ French exports down but imports stable

In the first nine months of this year, French pork exports declined by 3% compared with the same period in 2013. Pork imports into France came down marginally year on year.

In the first nine months of this year, French pork exports declined by 3% compared with the same period in 2013. Just over three quarters of exports were shipped to the EU and volumes came down by 1% on a year earlier. Italy accounts for a quarter of the French exports, by far the leading destination. Shipments to this market rose by 1% but declines to other, smaller markets led to an overall fall in French exports. Purchases by the UK fell marginally but it remained the second largest buyer of French pork, while exports to Greece were down by 2%. However, the decline was much sharper for Spain, with volumes down 22% compared with January to September 2013. Outside the EU, pork exports to China also came down by 22% on a year earlier.  France continued to diversify into a range of smaller markets following the Russian import ban, with Bulgaria, Philippines, Hungary and Japan included among them. The value of exports totalled €639.1 million, down 6% compared with a year earlier, as lower prices added to the decline in volumes.

French Pork Trade

Pork imports into France came down marginally year on year, to 273,300 tonnes, in the first nine months of this year. With French production levels in the January to September period this year similar to 2013 and exports down, the requirement for imports was slightly lower, given subdued consumer demand. Most pork imports were sourced from Spain and Germany, collectively accounting for 84% of the total. Spain is the dominant supplier and volumes fell by 2% on a year earlier. However, imports from Germany rose by 5% and supplies from Denmark almost doubled. The value of total imports rose by 1%, to €709.1 million.