Contact

Photo of Belgian pork exports slightly down on last year

Bethan Wilkins

Analyst

AHDB Pork Market Intelligence

email

Email Bethan

T: work 024 7647 8757

Belgian pork exports slightly down on last year

Home \ Prices & Stats \ News \ 2014 \ October \ Belgian pork exports slightly down on last year

Belgium is a net exporter of pig meat and in the first half of this year the country exported, 1% lower compared with the January to June period in 2013. A 3% fall in Germany's intake was more than offset by a 19% increase in exports to Poland.

Belgium is a net exporter of pig meat and in the first half of this year the country exported 347,400 tonnes of pork. This was 1% lower compared with the January to June period in 2013, although volumes were unusually high last year, so exports were 5% up on 2012. Germany and Poland are the main destinations for Belgian pork, accounting for nearly two thirds of total exports. With Germany taking around 40% of the pork shipments, a 3% fall in its intake was more than offset by a 19% increase in exports to Poland. The remaining third of the exports were distributed to various smaller markets. Supplies to the Netherland and Italy were down by 9% and 20% respectively. Belgium exports pork to the UK, including significant numbers of full or half carcases, but overall this is a fairly small trade and in the first half of the year, supplies were down by almost 1% on the year before. As a result of a 3% fall in the price of Belgian exports, the value in the first half of the year totalled €647.3 million, down 4% on a year earlier.

undefined

Belgium imports a small amount of pork and in the first half of this year supplies amounted to 34,900 tonnes. This was 7% up on a year earlier for the same period. The main sources include the Netherlands, France and Germany. Supplies from these markets were up slightly compared with last year. The value of pork imports totalled €70.6 million, down 1% on 2013 for the first six months of the year.