Pork sales generally weaker
In the 12 weeks ended 16 July, primary pork volume sales have fallen by 5.3% year-on-year.
There has been an increase in primary pork prices by 8%. Combined, this means that spend in the last 12 weeks has seen a year-on-year increase of 2%.
Roasting joints have also seen a sharp decline year-on-year, according to the latest data from Kantar Worldpanel. Continuing the trend of recent months, there has been a drop in retailer promotional activity which may have contributed to the decline in sales although the impact of price inflation cannot be discounted. The largest decline in roasting joints was seen in shoulder roasting joints with a drop in volume of 22.6% compared to the same period last year. In contrast the price has risen by 8% year-on-year. For shoulder roasting joints this means overall spend is down by 16%.
Bacon, which has been showing small increases recently appears to be more stable now looking at data for the 12 weeks ended 16 July. Volumes of bacon were down by 1% year-on-year and prices were up by 2% over the same period. Therefore, total spend increased by 1% year-on-year. Pork pies showed some growth in the 12 weeks. Volumes increased by 8% year-on-year alongside a price increase of 3%, meaning total spend on pork pies also increased by 11% year-on-year.
The picture for other meats was mixed. Total spend on beef over the 12 week period fell by 2% with roasting joints falling by 13% year on year. Total beef sales volumes fell by 5.2%. Primary poultry sales increased by 1.8% over the 12 weeks year-on-year and total spend on poultry was up by 1.5% over the same period.
Rebecca Oborne, Analyst
firstname.lastname@example.org, 024 7647 8631