Contact

Photo of Bacon performing well but roasts continue to decline

Bethan Wilkins

Analyst

AHDB Pork Market Intelligence

email

Email Bethan

T: work 024 7647 8757

Bacon performing well but roasts continue to decline

Home \ Prices & Stats \ News \ 2017 \ July \ Bacon performing well but roasts continue to decline

During the 12 weeks ended 18 June, the primary pork volume sales decreased by 3% on a year-on-year basis, according to the latest data from Kantar Worldpanel. However, a 5% increase in the average retail price meant that overall spend was up by 2%. 

Roasting joints have continued to record a decline in sales over the 12 week period, which as commented on in previous months could perhaps be linked to the reduced promotional activity seen this year. Shoulder roasting joints saw a dramatic drop in volume sales with a reduction of 22%. Although in contrast to this, average price was up by 8%.

Bacon which had been struggling has seen some small increases in both volumes and average price resulting in the total spend increasing by 3%. This is supported by other Kantar Worldpanel information, indicating that bacon was purchased on 1.5 million more shopping trips compared with last year. Other processed products also performed well including sausages with volume sales up 2% and sliced cooked meats, up 3%.

undefined

Total spend on primary beef has remained steady looking at the 12 week period compared with last year. Although volume fell by 2% a price increase of 2% balanced the total spend. Primary poultry saw a total spend increase of 2% year on year with volumes up 4%.

Rebecca Oborne, Analyst

rebecca.oborne@ahdb.org.uk, 02476 478631