Pig meat production increases in May
UK pig meat production grew 3.7% in May to total 80,100 tonnes. Production has been driven by an increase in clean pig slaughter and heavier carcase weights compared to a year earlier.
May 2019 Key facts:
- Clean pig slaughter: 913,800 head
- Adult pig slaughter: 21,700 head
- Average prime pig carcase weight: 84.2kg.
Year to date (Jan-May) key facts:
- Clean pig slaughter: 4.44 million head (+0.4% YoY)
- Adult pig slaughter: 104,900 head (-4% YoY)
- Pig meat production: 390,900 tonnes (+1% YoY)
Pork has been performing relatively well in the retail sector lately. This could explain some of the increase in throughputs as demand marginally increases for pork. Also, increased demand for EU pork from China will have tightened the market slightly.