Development of novel technology (bio-sensors) for rapid analysis of fatty acid composition in meat from pig and cattle
Research Partner: University of the West of England (UWE)
Sponsors: AHDB Pork and AHDB Beef and Lamb, UWE, JSR Genetics, Stabiliser Cattle Company
Duration: October 2017-September 2020
Aims and objectives:
- To develop novel bio-sensor technology for the measurement of concentrations of individual saturated, mono-unsaturated and ploy-unsaturated fatty acids
- To link technology to a user-friendly display of the data once inserted into a carcase or cuts of meat
- The novel technology will be rapid, user-friendly, reliable, cost-effective and could be integrated into existing abattoir systems.
- The utilisation will contribute towards reducing complaints in relation to meat texture and flavour.
- Once validated, the technology could be adapted for applications in other types of meat.
For more information, please contact Kim Matthews, Head of Animal Breeding & Product Quality.