Commercial pig unit electricity monitoring project
Research partners: Farmex Ltd.
Sponsor: AHDB Pork
Aims and objectives
To measure electricity use at a practical level over a range of uses
Findings to date
- Readings from a total of 84 meters were recorded every 15 minutes over a period of two years on 11 different farms
- The variation between one farm and another was far too large to be meaningful in terms of equipment or external factors
- Within the study the two biggest costs were creep heating (plus back lamps) and grower fan ventilation
- The biggest factor affecting energy use is what the users choose to do with the equipment and buildings
- Effective energy saving, energy saving with a positive, or at least no negative, effect on productivity, seems far more likely if producers take an active approach to it.