Antimicrobial use in the pig industry
Research partner: Octagon Services Ltd
Sponsor: AHDB Pork
Duration: 2012 – 2014
Aims and objectives
- To identify areas of difficulty around collecting antimicrobial usage data for the English pig herd and trial different methods of collection
- To determine what volume of antimicrobials are used in the English pig herd, providing a benchmark to inform the industry of our current standing in comparison to other EU countries
- To inform the current debate on antimicrobial usage.
Findings to date
- Data was collected from vet practices, integrated production companies and feed mills to gain a full view of how antimicrobials are prescribed, dispensed and recorded
- A benchmarking tool has been created to help producers and their vets measure antimicrobial usage specific to that farm and therefore be able to set targets for reduction where appropriate
- The industry can now start to address data gaps and improve data provision throughout the supply chain.