Getting through tough times
With the industry facing tough times due to declining pig prices, the resources below provide suggestions and guidance for evaluating your unit and making changes to improve your cost of production.
At the same time, work continues at pace to help drive demand for pork both in the UK, via the latest burst of our Midweek Meal campaign, and through opening and developing export markets for our product.
Brexit: fit for the future
Fit for the future is about looking at your business as a business, putting together a plan of where you want to go and making informed business decisions.
As part of this, AHDB is developing tools like our Brexit Impact Calculator and our farm benchmarking software, Farmbench. Alongside this, we also produce a range of tools and resources that can help you work through business planning issues.
Pig production costs calculators
Three easy-to-use calculators are now available to help producers calculate their own cost of pig production.
Find all three calculators (breeding, rearing and finishing) here.
- ASF impact report (September 2018)
- 2017 pig cost of production in selected countries (November 2018)
- Pig market crisis briefing (February 2016)
- Feeder Wastage Review
- Action for Productivity 10: Cleaning and disinfection
- Action for Productivity 11: Increasing uniformity of finished pigs
- Action for Productivity 13: Biosecurity
- Action for Productivity 22: Improve your marketing return
- KT Bulletin 14: Reducing feed costs
- KT Bulletin 21: Slaughter weight decisions
- Checklist for making best use of limited straw stocks
Alternative bedding for pigs
Some of the alternative bedding materials discussed here can be used in conjunction with traditional cereal straw, either to replace it or offset the increased cost and allow straw bedding supplies to go further.
Webinar: Getting through tough times, coping with low prices
This webinar from 2016 explores how we can reduce the cost of inputs and look at the industry’s opportunities. Ciarán Caroll of Teagasc shares the strategies adopted in Ireland to help get through the tough times.
- Devil is in the detail for pig herd gains (18 March 2016)
- Tackling tough times for the pig industry (2 March 2016)
- Pig industry in crisis says AHDB Pork report (2 March 2016)
- Save thousands by removing non-productive sows (17 February 2016)
- Pig meetings: Tackling tough times (25 February 2016)
Help and advice
There are a number of charities and organisations that offer farmers support and advice including: