The industry is made up of a huge variety of production systems with herds ranging from just a handful of sows to thousands. Each of these businesses has an important part to play in the overall success of the industry, whether it’s commercial lines or rare breeds it is important to know that the support and information is out there.
Our next round of meetings, aimed specifically at small-scale producers, will be taking place during August and September 2018.
Specialist pig vet, Adrian Cox, will be talking about farrowing management, addressing topics such as the timing of farrowing, signs and difficulties.
The meetings are free to attend and will be interactive, so please come along with questions.
A meal will also be provided.
When: 28 August 2018 6:30pm
Where: The Gipsy Hill Hotel, Exeter EX1 3RN
When: 29 August 2018 at 6:30pm
Where: Cisswood House Hotel, Horsham RH13 6NF
When: 10 September at 6:30pm
Where: The Hilton Hotel M4, Chieveley Services RG20 8XY
When: 12 September at 6:30pm
Where: The Granary Hotel and Restaurant, Kidderminster DY10 4BS
In addition to AHDB Pork publications and services, the following links provide useful information more specific to small-scale pig keeping.
- Pig Hub
- Electronic medicine book for pigs (eMB-Pigs)
- eAML2 – electronic pig movement licensing
- Significant Diseases Charter
- Practical Pig app
- British Pig Association
- The Smallholder Series: Practical Guides
- Country Smallholding
- Smallholder magazine
- Common Disease Conditions Diagnosed in Smallholder and Pet Pigs - click here
- Small-herd biosecurity photostory
- Practical Pigs (Autumn 2016): Risky Business
- Practical Pigs (Spring 2017): Please keep 'em safe!
If you require assistance other than the above please contact your regional KE Manager. Click here for details.