The industry is made up of a huge variety of production systems with herds ranging from just a handful of sows to thousands. Each of these businesses has an important part to play in the overall success of the industry, whether it’s commercial lines or rare breeds it is important to know that the support and information is out there.
In addition to AHDB Pork publications and services, the following links provide useful information more specific to small scale pig keeping.
- British Pig Association – http://www.britishpigs.org.uk/
- The Smallholder Series – Practical Guides – http://www.smallholderseries.co.uk/
- Country Smallholding – http://www.countrysmallholding.com/home
- Smallholder – http://www.smallholder.co.uk/
- eAML2 – electronic pig movement licensing http://www.eaml2.org.uk/ami/home.eb
- Download a leaflet on biosecurity for smallholders.
- Common Disease Conditions Diagnosed in Smallholder and Pet Pigs - click here
- Small-herd biosecurity photostory
- Practical Pigs (Autumn 2016): Risky Business
- Practical Pigs (Spring 2017): Please keep 'em safe!
AHDB Pork Stockman Development Pig Club - 21 February, 6.30pm at Gipsy Hill Lane, Exeter, Devon, EX1 3RN - More info here
If you require assistance other than the above please contact your regional KT Manager. Click here for details.