Transport: Training & Competence
Individual drivers or handlers responsible for transporting farmed vertebrate animals must have had training on the relevant animal welfare rules.
For journeys over 65km drivers must hold a relevant certificate of competence.
Training should cover:
- animal’s fitness for travel
- means of transport and use of its facilities
- loading, unloading and handling
- watering and feeding intervals
- journey times and rest periods
- space allowances
Defra has designated the following independent bodies to undertake assessments for competence and to award competence certificates: City & Guilds and Lantra.