Getting through tough times
With the industry facing tough times due to rock bottom prices, AHDB Pork is coordinating a range of activities to support pig producers. This includes meetings, webinars, online information and ‘what if?’ calculations to help producers re-evaluate their units and influence their cost of production.
At the same time, work continues apace to help drive demand for pork both here in the UK, via the latest burst of the Pulled Pork campaign, and through opening and developing export markets for our product, from China and central Africa to Australia.
Webinar: Getting through tough times, coping with low prices
Listen again to the webinar, exploring how we could reduce the cost of inputs and look at the industry’s opportunities, following the latest analysis of pig market prospects. Ciarán Caroll of Teagasc shares the strategies they’re adopting in Ireland to help get through the coming months.
Teagasc Pigs Newsletter November 2015 – Getting through tough financial times
Getting through tough times: regional meetings
These events are an opportunity for producers to hear from key industry figures, ask questions, re-evaluate their units and work through some ‘what if?’ calculations to influence cost of production (COP).
- 3 March (Midlands) – Weedon, Daventry - More details
- 15 March (East) – Diss - More details
- 22 March (South West) – Exeter - More details
- 23 March (Shropshire) – Hodnet - More details
- 7 April (North) - Yorkshire - More details
Contact the knowledge transfer team for more details.
- Feeder Wastage Review
- Action for Productivity 10: Cleaning and disinfection
- Action for Productivity 11: Increasing uniformity of finished pigs
- Action for Productivity 13: Biosecurity
- Action for Productivity 22: Improve your marketing return
- KT Bulletin 14: Reducing feed costs
- KT Bulletin 21: Slaughter weight decisions
- Devil is in the detail for pig herd gains -18 March
- Tackling tough times for the pig industry - 2 March
- Pig industry in crisis says AHDB Pork report - 2 March
- Save thousands by removing non-productive sows - 17 February
- Pig meetings: Tackling tough times - 25 February
Help and advice
There are a number of charities and organisations that offer farmers support and advice including: