The industry is made up of a huge variety of production systems with herds ranging from just a handful of sows to thousands. Each of these businesses has an important part to play in the overall success of the industry, whether it’s commercial lines or rare breeds it is important to know that the support and information is out there.
AHDB Pork and the British Pig Association (BPA) are working together to bring three new pig clubs to the south, specifically aimed at the small-scale producer.
The next meetings will be taking place in Sussex and Exeter during July and will have a nutritional focus, followed by a health-themed meeting in Chievely in September. The events are free of charge and everyone is welcome, a meal will also be provided
What: An evening meeting with pig nutritionist Dr Philip Baynes, covering an introduction to pig nutrition and feeding.
When: Wednesday 19 July at 6:30pm
Where: Cisswood House Hotel, Horsham RH13 6NF
What: An evening meeting with pig nutritionist Mick Hazzledine, covering an introduction to pig nutrition and feeding.
When: Tuesday 25 July at 6:30pm
Where: The Gipsy Hill Hotel, Exeter EX1 3RN
What: An evening meeting with specialist pig vet, Richard Pearson, looking at some common health problems he has been seeing. It will be an interactive meeting, so please come along with questions.
When: Tuesday 26 September at 6:30pm
Where: The Hilton Hotel M4, Chieveley Services RG20 8XY
To register: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01904 771212 with the names and contact details of each delegate. Please note that booking closes a week before each event.
In addition to AHDB Pork publications and services, the following links provide useful information more specific to small scale pig keeping.
- British Pig Association – http://www.britishpigs.org.uk/
- The Smallholder Series – Practical Guides – http://www.smallholderseries.co.uk/
- Country Smallholding – http://www.countrysmallholding.com/home
- Smallholder – http://www.smallholder.co.uk/
- eAML2 – electronic pig movement licensing http://www.eaml2.org.uk/ami/home.eb
- Download a leaflet on biosecurity for smallholders.
- Common Disease Conditions Diagnosed in Smallholder and Pet Pigs - click here
- Small-herd biosecurity photostory
- Practical Pigs (Autumn 2016): Risky Business
- Practical Pigs (Spring 2017): Please keep 'em safe!
If you require assistance other than the above please contact your regional KE Manager. Click here for details.